05/11/2023 - 'Star Bakers, the big smoke and code cracking' by David

My week started with a win! Our colleagues have organised an office bake off, raising money for the Motor Neurone Disease Association and this week, it was traybake week. Alice and I made a berry crumble slice and in a blinded taste test, we were judged the winners! The Bakers win the bake off! That it was vegan and gluten free was a double win!



That evening, we went to view a house which fitted the bill perfectly. After an anxious wait, we were thrilled to hear our offer had been accepted. We've had disappointment before so don't want to get our hopes up too much but if all goes to plan, we will have a lovely house which has an area for me to live safely in without having to go up any stairs. Fingers crossed and watch this space for updates....

I hadn't seen my youngest daughter, Anna for over a month so we were both excited to have a day off together on Thursday and I booked my train ticket to London and we had plans to walk through a few of the city's great parks. Storm Cairan tried it's best to thwart our plans but we had a lovely afternoon anyway. I and hundreds of others, sat on a packed train at Southampton Central Station at 9 am for over 30 minutes, and although we had regular updates about falling trees and flooded tracks, they decided in the end that the train was cancelled and we all had to get off and wait for the next one. Over an hour later, I was London bound, but this, and the inclement weather waiting for me in the capital, meant that walking through a park wasn't going to be possible. Of course, just seeing Anna's face and holding her tight was all I really wanted and we were soon into our usual silly talk and banter that we always share. She really is a little version of me and I hope she passes it on in the future.


We walked from Waterloo, along by the Thames, past Shakespeare's Globe, Blackfriars, Millenium and Southwark bridges, the Golden Hind, and then we stopped at Borough Market for some lunch. There were dishes from all over the world available but we chose an Iranian stall as the man was so happy and proud of the food he was serving - and it was delicious!

We continued on and up the steps of London Bridge, where poor Nancy met a horrible end at the hands of Bill Sykes in Dickens' Oliver Twist, and we crossed the river to the monument of the Great Fire, just yards from Pudding Lane. We then posed in front of Tower Bridge before retracing our steps as the wind and rain began to take hold. Anna held my arm as we walked along and it felt really nice. I will need all my family to hold me and support me as my condition worsens, but I am so grateful to know how much I am loved and that really brings me comfort.



We stopped off at a proper London boozer before we headed back to Waterloo Station and we got a coffee and chatted about our lives and our plans for the next few years. A happy and sad discussion. A lovely big hug, and a beautiful smile and kiss from my lovely baby on the platform and off we went, knowing we will meet up again in less that two weeks.




Saturday morning was the usual parkrun. Usually, hearing rain outside the window at 8am would have put us off but every run counts now so we set off in the hope of staying dry and seeing some friends and were pleased to see 23 other vegans there! Southampton parkrun is not hilly per se, however I really feel any inclines so as the starting klaxon sounded, Alice and I held hands and she supported me round the course, giving me a boost up the hills when needed. I don't wear a running watch so rely on Alice's announcement at the finish line of how we have done and was pleased to hear we are still running consistently around 40 minutes.



We then headed to the Happy Bean cafe for coffee, cake and chats and my favourite canine Jasper rested his chin on my knee under the table. He's just like a teddy bear and makes for a lovely therapy dog.



Despite staying dry for parkrun, we got cold and wet at the vegan fair and were coveting our friend's dry robe. We agreed we'd buy two - one each as our Christmas present to each other. There's a derogatory term for people who wear dry robes but I know people with MND really feel the cold so I'll be having the last laugh when I'm cosy and dry in mine this winter.

Alice's parents had given her an escape room voucher for her birthday and we finally got round to using it Saturday evening. This was a great way to round off the week -  drinking cocktails and solving a puzzle box at The Dark Arts Potion Bar. The table top puzzle box was described as an escape room for those with less mobility which fitted the bill perfectly. You are given an hour to unravel the clues, decipher the codes and find the keys which open the many chambers of the wooden chest, in search of the solution.


We needed a little help and completed the puzzle in just over 60 minutes so we're not expecting a call from Bletchley Park any time soon but we had great fun and the cocktails were spectacular.




The evening was finished off with an Indian meal in Padharo - a new veggie / vegan restaurant in town. We had a busy but lovely day together.


Alice and I have been totally amazed by the number of family and friends that are raising money for the Motor Neurone Disease Association on my behalf and we are so thankful to all of them.

My daughter Rachel, my niece Alex and my work colleague Anna, all ran 60 miles each in August. None of them are regular runners so this really was a challenge and I thank you ladies!

My mother-in-law June is joining us and many others in our walk on the Isle of Wight in November and has set up a Just Giving page for her Southampton friends. 

My friend Julie Binnington is walking to all 136 churches on the Isle of Wight. She is halfway through her quest and the photos on her Facebook page look amazing. 

Our lovely MND home volunteer Susan, is walking 75 miles with her dog in October.

Our colleagues in the research department of the hospital have organised a Great Office Bake Off with 4 weeks of different categories of bakes in aid of the MNDA, and the final week is in my office - yum! Only 2 challenges in and the department have already raised nearly £500.

My running friend and fellow football fan Glen Jones organised a Friendly Frolic in October, where 125 runners ran different loops out from and back to the Bargeman's Rest pub in Newport.

Two of my friends that I have known since primary school have organised separate events for the MNDA.

Terry Barnes persuaded his IOW Scooter Alliance friends to do a charity ride out and I got to have my photo taken with nearly 30 scooterists, while Rob Procter and members of his Love Running Tuesday night group ran 100 kilometres in October. Rob, who is new to running,  has been totally inspirational to us and his fellow runners, and has included the Solent half marathon and the Great South Run in his quest. Kev and Debbie Bennett, and Cat Keeble also signed up and completed this mammoth task.  

And finally, our running friend Claire Robinson is running the 2024 Southampton half marathon and this will be the furthest she has ever run!


So, as you can see, I have so many friends who are thinking of Alice and I, and we thank all those fundraising or donating towards caring for people like me and research into finding a cure for MND.

Alice and I have our own fundraisers, where we sell MNDA wristbands and badges and so far I have played a DJ set, and a gig with Bobby I Can Fly, and we are looking forward to seeing lots of people join us on our walk from Cowes Seafront to Gurnard beach in November. Facebook tells me that more than 80 people are walking with us which is amazing! Thankfully the pavement is wide!

We estimate that the cumulative total of all the fundraising raised in my name will be £10,000 which is incredible! We also surpassed 11.3k views on the blog this week. Alice and I are humbled, grateful and totally overwhelmed x

Comments

  1. A lovely thought provoking blog as usual. Well done Dave and Alice x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very uplifting blog this week. £10,000 is absolutely amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great week Dave! May there be many more to come. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always read your blog Dave....and it usually brings a tear to my eye. It is always ultimately uplifting, but......ya' know!!

    There probably isn't an hour that goes by without me thinking of you and Alice, and it's been a pleasure to be able to run with you and for you lately. Looking forward to the next time already.......and most definitely to the walk next Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Kev, that is just lovely! Thank you for thinking of us and running with us x x

      Delete
  5. Can't wait to see pictures of your new home.
    I did the 75 miles as well 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you anonymous! Sorry I left you out x

      Delete
  6. As ever Dave an emotional and up lifting read..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

11/02/2024 - 'The highest of highs and the lowest of lows' by Alice

18/02/2024 - 'My running days are finally over' by David

26/11/2023 - 'What is MND and what does it feel like?' by David