28/07/2023 - 'My football career is over' by David

Well this week has been better than the last one!

Since my shit diagnosis, Alice and I have been out for a cider, watched a couple of Steve Martin films (All Of Me, The Jerk) had lots of hugs and I did a DJ set!

We also went back to work this week which made life seem a little bit normal even though it's anything but.

I apologise for the numerous posts on here but I feel as though I have a lot to share and I don't know how much longer my mouth or my fingers will allow me to convey my thoughts.

This post concerns a subject close to my heart so apologies to anyone who doesn't understand the beautiful game.

Unfortunately I have had to come to terms with the fact that I cannot run around and kick a ball anymore. 

Since retiring from competitive football on the Isle of Wight in 2011 aged 45, I set up a Monday night kickabout for my fellow nhs colleagues in Southampton and have been lucky enough to play charity games on Southampton FC's Mary's Stadium meeting Saints 1976 FA Cup winning captain Peter Rodrigues as our special guest. Then we played another game at Eastleigh FC against an Ex Saints side with the 1976 open top bus in attendance as well as other 1976 Saints heroes Hugh Fisher, Jim Steele and Ian Turner watching on.


My football career started at Gurnard Primary School in the early 70's and continued at Solent Middle and Cowes High School and I was part of the inaugural squad of Gurnard Youth Football Club which was started by island sporting legend Steve Dines in 1975 and is still going strong to this day.


My men's football career started at Northwood St John's Reserves in 1981 and after a couple of seasons with them, I played for Cowes Reserves before joining Osborne Coburg FC in 1986, the club that I played more than 500 games for over 25 years. I played in all 5 island Saturday leagues and in 3 cup finals, winning 2 of them. I also played for East Cowes Liberals, Havenstreet and Cowes Park Rangers in the Sunday leagues. 


I was a team player with a good engine who got the ball and gave it to the more creative players. I probably played in all positions on the pitch apart from between the sticks and once scored a hatrick from midfield!


I played with and against some great players over the seasons and met some great friends on the pitch and on the sidelines and I will really miss the camaraderie and that feeling of putting your foot behind the ball and giving it a good old whack! 

Unfortunately, after falling while out running in January and having tests after my legs were feeling weak, I have been given the devastating news that I have Motor Neurone Disease and am still coming to terms with this news.

I would like to take this opportunity to say hi to all those players that I played with and against over the years and wish you all the best. Football really has given me some of the best memories I have and I hang my boots up with a smile on my face. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

11/02/2024 - 'The highest of highs and the lowest of lows' by Alice

18/02/2024 - 'My running days are finally over' by David

26/11/2023 - 'What is MND and what does it feel like?' by David