18/02/2024 - 'My running days are finally over' by David

In a week where both Alice and I really wanted to rest and relax, we unfortunately did neither. Alice is suffering from a bad back, and I was still recovering from my running and musical escapades last weekend, so the thought of sorting, boxing, and transporting to the new house wasn't something to look forward to. With the help of family, including Fin, who used all his lego building experience to help assemble units and desks, we have made a good start though.

Unfortunately, my leg strength has deteriorated and on Monday I walked back from the new house to our old house on my own as Alice and Fin were busy assembling furniture and after only a few minutes of walking, I felt unstable on my feet, and I was lifting my left foot in a strange manner as I walked. Admittedly, I didn’t have my stick, or my shopping trolley, or the hand of a good woman to hold onto to steady me, but it was very disappointing and left me in a low mood.

Amidst all the emotions and household possessions around us, we didn't have the time or energy to celebrate either Pancake Day*, or Valentine's Day**, and the most exciting activity in the first part of the week was a trip to IKEA. 

Now what sort of idiot would wear a yellow top with a badge on when going to IKEA? I only realised my mistake once I was inside but as I stood at one of their information posts and posed as an employee, I thought I looked pretty convincing!?


We both know that after all the upheaval of moving, it will be worth it once we are in at number 14 though, so we plod on.   
Although we have the keys, we're not in just yet as we're getting a few renovations done first to make life more comfortable including decorating, replacing radiators and getting the upstairs bathroom refurbished so for now, the packing and sorting continues. 

I have upped my research trial medicine/placebo to 5mls after my telephone conversation with the research doctor. I haven't noticed any side effects, apart from feeling weak and lethargic, which may be due to the trial, my shenanigans last week, or just the natural progression of the condition. 

Alice and I attended the monthly online MNDA local branch meeting and it was good to catch up with fellow sufferers,  carers and volunteers. We have built up a nice relationship with them and it's always a very positive and enjoyable hour. It might sound strange that a group of people who have a terminal illness should laugh about ourselves and our condition, but I guess that it helps to stave off the inevitable tears that sometimes surface. The speaker this month was a man from the MNDA team that fund voice banking for us. I have banked my voice and have an app that I can write sentences on which are then spoken by my computer generated voice. If by the time I need to use it, my hands can't type the message, I will be able to use eye gaze technology to communicate. He said that there is no reason why I shouldn't use another provider aswell, as they are all slightly different, and he also mentioned how AI could help to speed up the communication process in the future.

Unfortunately, we learnt later in the week that Rita from the group had passed away. Only diagnosed last March, her and her family raised over £10,000 for the MNDA with the campaign 'On your feet for Nanny Reet'. We met her a few times and she used a whiteboard and pen to communicate after losing her voice and swallow to the bulbar variety of MND only 10 months ago. This was the first person we knew from the group to pass away and although inevitable, we felt shocked and saddened to hear this news. 

I had a lovely visit from my daughter Rachel and her hubby-to-be Max on Friday which was a joy. They brought their car over on the ferry to pick up two G Plan rocking chairs that I inherited from my parents, and I'm now passing on to Rachel. My hometown of High Wycombe in Buckinghamshire is famous for it's furniture manufacturing due to the abundance of beech wood from the surrounding Chiltern Hills, and these chairs are worth a pretty penny these days. I also passed on to them, my Planet Of The Apes collection, which includes comics, annuals, novels, cards and memorabilia. Rachel will hopefully pass the chairs and the collection on to their offspring. 


On Saturday, I didn't go to parkrun! I know it's hard to believe but it's true. I have run parkrun every Saturday morning for months, including Christmas and New Year's day, but this Saturday, I ticked off another activity from my bucket list. 

My brother Rich, his son Isaac, and I went to watch my beloved Wycombe Wanderers play a local derby against Oxford United, and just as I had done on my last visit to watch my other side Derby County, we were met by a club official, who took us on a tour of the club including walking down the tunnel onto the turf.


We met some of the players on the pitch before the game, including ex player Mark West, who was banging in the goals in the 80's and 90's as Wycombe went from Southern League amateurs to football league professionals. The game ended 0-0 but it was well contested and Wycombe had the best of the chances - if only 'Westy' was still playing!


My sister-in-law Vanessa had arranged it with the club for me, and they also gave us a parking space among the players and officials car park, which was really nice of them. We were allowed in to the player's bar afterwards and chatted to lots of them and Isaac got his Wycombe shirt signed. 


Alice kept the Baker parkrun quota up by going to Southsea parkrun with our friends, but had to walk due to her back. For a change, she didn't have to hold anyone's hand on the way around, but I'm sure that she missed my exhilarating company and hilarious banter. She reports she was met with lots of concerned queries of 'where's Dave?' as its so unusual to not be there together but everyone was reassured I was just at the football instead!

On Sunday, we finished the week by getting up at 7.30am to go and volunteer in the rain at a running event on Southampton Common. I have run so many events over the years, so now it is nice to give something back, and encouraging people of all abilities, who are giving everything they've got is really satisfying. The rain stopped, the sun came out, and we got a free drink voucher too so it was a lovely end to another busy week. 


Sadly, as Alice reported last week, I have brought my lifelong love of running to a close.

Since I was diagnosed with motor neurone disease in July, I have been running slow 5k parkruns with Alice holding my arm, but sadly, it is time to succumb to the reality of my situation and stop running.

My running career started at primary school when one hot afternoon, I decided to run around the school field in my school shirt and shorts while waiting for my mother, who taught at the school to clear up her classroom. After a couple of laps, she wanted me to stop as I was all hot and sweaty but I loved the feeling of pushing myself and wanted to run some more. 


I went on to run competitively for my middle and high school and after school and at weekends I ran for Solent Athletic Club on the Isle of Wight and in Hampshire.

After leaving school, my running along the seafront between Gurnard and Cowes and up the 'Zig Zag' steps, was my training as I went in search of league and cup medals on the football pitch and I didn't run competitively again until I was in my 40's as my football career came to a close. 

I had also trained with Ryde Harriers Running Club to maintain my fitness for football and posted 5 miles in 34 minutes and 8 miles in 55 minutes at the age of 25 on the island's hilly trails (which equates to a 21 minute parkrun), and competed in the annual West Wight Triathlon for many years so that I could keep up with players born after I had started playing men's football in 1981. I then ran under 1 hour 40 mins for the IOW half marathon in my 30's.

Aged 45, I decided it was time to retire from football and return to competitive running and entered 10k's ,10 milers and then decided to run my first 26.2 miles! 


I have since run the IOW, Southampton and Berlin marathon among others and Alice and I have run together at the Great South Run, the Race To The King 50k ultra, the Brighton 10k, the IOW cross country half, and we have run against Beethoven at media city in Manchester for Sport Relief. The BBC concert orchestra played Beethoven's 5th symphony and we had to finish the 5k course, running with celebrities like Andy Burnham, Peter Mandelson, Sophie Rayworth, Gary Lineker and AJ from Strictly, before they played their last note (and we did indeed beat Beethoven running together in a time of 23:18)



Alice and I started running parkrun in 2016 and my very first parkrun at Southampton Common is actually, still my personal best at 21 minutes 16 seconds. We soon joined Hampshire Vegan Runners, where we have made so many friends, and started doing parkrun tourism and our stats are now 152 parkruns completed in 42 different locations, and I have volunteered 30 times in various roles to give something back to this amazing activity. If you have never run, jogged, or walked a parkrun please do, it is friendly, all inclusive, and free!

I've done parkrun dressed as Santa, in my Superman pants, in my NHS uniform and as a groom on our wedding day.  I've been plogging (picking litter/running), run cross country up giant hills in gale force winds and whipping rain, taken part in a race up the Ventnor hills with wine stops, a run through the Parkhurst woods at night chased by zombies and ran along a beach, jumping over the groynes.  But now aged 57, after 5 Marathons, 3 Ultra Marathons and over 150 parkruns I have unfortunately been forced to stop running by this stupid disease and it's very frustrating as I was at my happiest pushing myself to my limits in pursuit of a time or a distance. 



When I was forced to stop playing football, I missed the feeling of putting my boot through the ball, and when I could no longer cycle, I missed getting out of the saddle on an incline, and so it will be with running. I will miss the buzz of giving everything you have as you sprint for the line, knowing that you will feel drained but elated after a shower or warm bath later on. It is something I have done for most of my life, and I will miss the adrenaline of an event. Running has given me so much, and I have great memories of specific runs or the amazing people I have run with. 


Since my diagnosis, I have been running with my name and the words "I am fighting MND" on my running vest and I have had so many encouraging shouts from people who have been affected by MND, or just want to show me support. 


It looks very much like my legacy, will be the green and black striped rugby socks that Alice and I have been running in for a few years. They began as a fun stocking filler for each other, but everyone started to ask about them and after a recent secret parkrun meet up, in my honour, when over 45 people turned up in the same stripey socks, they are now being sold officially as Baker Socks on the Vegan Runners website. They are now turning up at parkruns all over the UK, which is very nice.


My final run at Medina parkrun on the Isle of Wight, was very special as I ran not only with Alice, but my daughter Rachel joined me, as did my brother, my sister, my nephew, and some very dear friends of ours. A number of parkrunners made a guard of honour as we finished, and it was a lovely way to bring my running to a close.

I would like to thank all my lovely friends who have supported me, looked after me, and run with me in the last few weeks and I hope to continue to participate in parkruns by walking at the back and maybe even on wheels when my legs finally give in, if Alice can source a sports wheelchair like the one Rob Burrows was pushed around in, on the Leeds marathon last year.

MND can definitely get in the sea, and unfortunately, so can my running shoes! 

*I did actually make pancakes two days later (to be named Shrove Thursday from now on), and we had both savoury and sweet toppings for our tea.

**I tell Alice that I love her every day so every day is Valentine's Day in the Baker House. 

 

Comments

  1. A very wise ** at the end there David! Wonderful account of your running history. The blog is one of the few things that stops me scrolling, to read and think. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for not making my sob this week. Last week I was a complete mess by the end 😭
    How many miles have those legs taken you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A long way but I'm glad for every run.

      Delete
  3. Well done 👍🏻 another fab blog. The ikea moment did make me laugh x love as always to you both ❤️🤩🥰

    ReplyDelete
  4. A long way but I'm glad for every run!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely read Dave ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

29/08/2023 - 'How did we get here? Part II' by Alice

11/02/2024 - 'The highest of highs and the lowest of lows' by Alice

28/08/2023 - 'How did we get here? Part I' by Alice